This lesson gives a basic sample lesson plan for working with 3ds Max Standard lights and V-Ray.
- You may start the lecture discussing the limitations of legacy light sources like point lights.
- Lights that do not have an actual physical shape cannot cast real area/soft shadows
- Lights that do not have an actual physical shape cannot be reflected – hence Specular reflections
- These lights do not have a physically accurate behavior i.e. light decay
- Next you may discuss how V-Ray approaches these issues
- VRayShadows plug-in
- Manually setting up Decay
- Creating real Area shadows by simulating either a box or a sphere light source dummy
- In this cycle, you are going to demonstrate some of the settings of the standard 3ds max light and settings of the VRayShadows plug-in. You can either use the provided handouts and scenes as a guideline or create your own exercises
- In this cycle, you are going to let your students experiment with the provided scene. You may want to give them the provided handout to use as a guideline.