This page gives details on how to install the License Server for Chaos Group products.
The License Server is a secure way to license products online as a highly-encrypted centralized online system that manages licenses for all your systems. Additionally, the License Server also provides for users to "borrow" licenses from their online accounts and work offline without having Internet connection or a hardware dongle, for up to 14 days at a time.
On the Linux OS, please use your local user with the sudo command instead of the root user to run the installer.
1) Run the License Server installer that is included with the Chaos Group product installation package or download the License Server installer separately from the Downloads section of the Chaos Group website (you'll need to be logged in to access it).
2) Please read over the license agreement. To continue with the installation process, click the I Agree button.
3) You can choose to accept the default installation parameters, or use the Customize button to change these parameters.
If you are installing for the first time, then Activate during installation will be checked. If you have a previous version of the License Server installed and already activated, then this will be unchecked.
Windows Default Install path - C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\VRLService\OLS
Linux Default Install path - /usr/ChaosGroup/VRLService/OLS
macOS Default Install path - /Applications/ChaosGroup/VRLService/OLS
It is not possible to install an older version of the license server. A notification window appears if you try to do so.
If you however, wish to go with the older version, you need to uninstall the current license server first.
4) The Customize button lets you change the following options:
License server directory – You can select a license server install directory different than the default one.
Migrate data during installation – When enabled, transfers all of your settings made with older versions of the License Server, such as enabled dongle subsystem, proxy settings, etc. Disabling this option in the Customize menu will install License Server with all settings at their defaults and any custom settings from the previous installation will be lost.
Add firewall exception – Enabling this option allows the default licensing port (TCP 30304) in the firewall. If you disable it at this step, you will need to manually add firewall exceptions later.
The Cancel button aborts the installation process.
The Back button lets you go back to the previous step of the installation process.
5) The installation process will then Check for Running Applications, which may take a few minutes so please be patient.
The application may appear to be non-responsive, but it should complete its search for running applications and move on to the next step.
6) The License Server is then installed on your machine.
7) The application is registered as a service using one of the init systems available within your machine's OS. Use the appropriate service commands to start and stop the license server.
For Windows, use the Services window
For Linux, use SystemV, Upstart or systemd
For macOS, use launchctl
8) Enter your credentials, these are the same as the credentials used to log into your account at my.chaosgroup.com. There is an option to request password recovery if you have forgotten it. Press the Forgot your password? link to proceed.
9) The installation process is then complete.
10) If you are installing for the first time and deselected Activate during installation a browser window will open to the Chaos Group License Server interface. Click the ENABLE ONLINE LICENSING link.
If you close your browser window, an easy way to reopen the license server page is from the Manage Chaos License Server link installed with the rest of your Application shortcuts (e.g. Windows Start Menu), which will direct you to http://127.0.0.1:30304/
11) Log in to the Chaos Group Login Portal and enter your credentials.
For more details on how the Licensing System works, please see the License Setup page.
A silent installation allows you to complete V-Ray License Server installation without running the installer's GUI. To complete a silent installation, run the installer with the following command:
This will install the license server with the automatic preferences and accept the EULA.
If you want to specify a custom installation directory or choose not to add firewall exceptions, run the installer with the following command.
The -quiet=1 argument will automatically accept the EULA. You can then select an installation directory and choose whether to include firewall exceptions.