When Phoenix is installed, the Phoenix components will appear in different sections of the 3ds Max interface, including options found the Tools, Create, Modifiers, Rendering, and Phoenix FD menus. From these options, Phoenix components can be created. For advanced techniques, they can be accessed through MaxScript as well.
The Quick Simulation Setup buttons on the Phoenix toolbar can help you get started with using these components together.
In the Create → Geometry panel, under the PhoenixFD category:
- Particle Shader | PHXFoam - Shades particles such as splash, foam, mist, drag, etc. Can also be applied to a .prt sequence when using the PRT Reader.
- Fire Smoke Simulator | FireSmokeSim - Creates a simulator that produces realistic fire/smoke/explosion effects.
- Liquid Simulator | LiquidSim - Creates a simulator that produces realistic liquid effects.
In the Create → Helpers panel, under the PhoenixFD category:
- Fire Source | PHXSource - Contains parameters that describe the properties of the released fluid.
- Turbulence | PHXTurbulence - Adds turbulence / noise to a simulation.
- Mapper | PHXMapper - Allows textures to affect simulation grid channels.
- PRT Reader | PRTReader - Allows a .prt file sequence to be loaded and rendered with PHXFoam.
- Liquid Source | LiquidSrc - A simplified version of the Fire Source designed to be used with the Liquid Simulator.
- Follow Path | FollowPath - Provides a force that pushes a fluid along a spline curve.
- Plain Force | PlainForce - Provides a force that pushes a fluid in a direction. Used to produce a wind effect.
- Body Force | BodyForce - Creates a force towards or away from a geometry object that can be used for shaping a fluid.
- Wave Force | WaveForce - Produces waves inside a liquid simulator based on a texture. Best used in conjunction with the Phoenix FD Ocean Texture.
In the Material Editor:
- Foam Texture | PhoenixFDFoamTex - Creates the effect of foam appearing at the crests of an ocean surface.
- Grid Texture | PhoenixFDGridTex - Exports a channel from a Phoenix simulator as a procedural texture.
- Ocean Texture | PhoenixFDOceanTex - An infinite non-cyclic procedural texture for displacing a water surface.
- Particle Texture | PhoenixFDParticleTex - A procedural texture calculated over a particle system.
In the list of available extended views:
- PhoenixFD GPU Preview - Enables a real-time preview based on the volumetric shading settings of the Simulator. The preview closely resembles the final rendered result.
In the quad menu with scene objects selected:
- PhoenixFD Per-Node Properties - Allows per-node Phoenix properties.
In the quad menu with the simulator selected:
PhoenixFD Export PRT Particles - Converts and exports Phoenix FD particles (foam, splash, and drag).
Phoenix FD Menu
A new main menu option is added after Phoenix is installed to be able to access unique option or commands that are specific for Phoenix FD.
The PhoenixFD menu is used to access the following windows:
- Phoenix FD Backburner Simulation - Allows you to submit a Phoenix simulation to Autodesk Backburner.
- Phoenix FD Deadline Simulation - Allows you to submit a Phoenix simulation to Deadline.
- Get Example Scenes - Opens the Example Scenes page in the web browser. Allows users to download a variety of example scenes that were previously shipped with the Phoenix for 3ds Max installation.
In the PFSource's Particle View window:
In the Environment and Effects window:
- Atmosphere Settings - Provides settings that affect all Phoenix simulators in a scene.