This page provides information on how the latest version of V-Ray handles scenes saved with V-Ray 3.0 or Next and what differences can be expected in the workflow with some features.
Some features have been modified in V-Ray 5 compared to previous versions of V-Ray. The sections below provide you with more details on what has been changed to help your transition to using the latest version.
- With V-Ray 5 for 3ds Max, V-Ray Quick Settings are removed from the user interface. If the V-Ray Quick Settings are used in older scenes, they will open with the correct parameters set.
- VRayShadowMap plugin is no longer supported.
- Since V-Ray 5.0, Beta 1, VRayHairMtl is no longer exposed in the UI of the Material Editor. Scenes containing V-RayHairMtl made with older versions of V-Ray will be loaded correctly. New VRayHairMtl cannot be made in the Material Editor or max script with V-Ray 5.0. We recommend using VRayHairNextMtl instead.
- V-Ray 5.0 comes with its own extensive V-Ray Material Library designed to cover detailed resolution for your realistic renders. It can be accessed via the V-Ray Asset Browser.
ASGVIS plugins are no longer available in V-Ray 5.0 for 3ds Max.
- Since V-Ray 5.0, Beta 1, VRayHDRI texture has been renamed to VRayBitmap texture.
- ACEScg primaries support for Bitmap textures is available.
- The Invert normal option is now presented as Inner occlusion mode in the VRayDirt map.
- Force Back Face Culling is hidden from the user interface. It is still available via maxscript.
- VRayLightMix provides adjustment control to the lights in the scene from inside the VFB2.
- The Generate render elements option of VRayDenoiser is hidden from the UI. You can access it via maxscript.
V-Ray Frame Buffer
- A second generation frame buffer, V-Ray Frame Buffer 2 (VFB2), has been introduced with V-Ray 5.0. It is available in 3ds Max 2018 and later. Older 3ds Max versions and V-Ray Standalone currently only support the previous V-Ray VFB (VFB1).
- Color corrections and settings from VFB1 saved with scenes will not be loaded when using the VFB2 in 3ds Max 2018 or later.
- Color corrections in VFB2 are now placed in layers for better post-processing inside the frame buffer.
- Render Last button is no longer available in VFB2. Instead, you can use the Render button which activates production rendering.
- The legacy sun/sky mode is no longer supported in V-Ray 5.0. The new Improved method is recommended for VRaySky textures.
- 3ds Max photometric scale is enabled by default.
- Advanced and Expert mode options are removed from the Light Cache rollouts. They are still accessible via maxscript. Most of them will render in V-Ray 5 the way they were saved in V-Ray 3.6. The options in question are:
- Leak prevention
- Filter type
- Filter size
- Use camera path
- Interp. samples for Nearest type filter
- Use for glossy rays
- Linear workflow is hidden from the Color Mapping rollouts. It is accessible via maxscript. Scenes using linear workflow will still render with V-Ray 5.0.
- Clamp Output and Clamp Level spinner options are hidden from the UI. They are accessible via maxscript. Scenes using Clamp Output and Clamp Level spinner will still render with V-Ray 5.0 the same way they were saved in V-Ray 3.6.
- Local subdivs are hidden from the user interface for all lights and materials. Older scenes using local subdivs are automatically updated.
- Use Native 3ds Max material swatches by enabling the respective option in Render Setup > Settings > System > Native 3ds Max material swatches.