Utility elements have a wide variety of uses both inside and outside of the compositing process. This page gives an overview of V-Ray's utility render elements and how they are used. Specific usage for each of these utility render elements is linked in the Overview.
The Utility Render Elements are a group of render elements that are generated for use in a number of different compositing and image manipulation needs.
Some of these render elements are also useful for optimizing renders and troubleshooting issues and aren't necessarily used as images in actual compositing.
Utility Render Elements List
- Distributed rendering ID (VRayDRBucket) - Creates an image of buckets as colored rectangles, with the name of the machine that rendered the bucket displayed on each bucket.
- Extra texture (VRayExtraTex) - Renders the entire scene with one texture mapped on all objects.
- Illuminance (VRayIlluminance) - Displays the illumination in each part of the scene in a similar way to the Light Meter | VRayLightMeter helper.
- Material select (VRayMtlSelect) - Writes the result of a V-Ray compatible material into a separate element. The material can be a top-level material or a sub-material of VRayMtlBlend.
- Sample rate (VRaySampleRate) - Shows where the pixel brightness is directly proportional to the number of samples taken at this pixel.
- Sampler Info (VRaySamplerInfo) - Provides information about various aspects of the shaded points such as position, normal, bump normal, reflection/refraction vectors and UVW coordinates. Can be used for world position passes or normal passes.
- Unclamped color (VRayUnclampedColor) - Renders the unclamped image color.
- V-Ray Render Options (VRayOptionRE) - A special render element that controls some internal settings for V-Ray that are otherwise inaccessible; it does not generate any actual data.
- V-Ray Denoiser (VRayDenoiser) - Takes an existing render and applies a denoising operation to smooth out areas of noise in the render.
Utility Render Element Examples