This page gives an overview of V-Ray's utility render elements and how they are used. Utility elements have a wide variety of uses both inside and outside of the compositing process.
The Utility Render Elements are a group of render elements that are generated for use in a number of different compositing and image manipulation needs.
Some of these render elements are also useful for optimizing renders and troubleshooting issues and aren't necessarily used as images in actual compositing.
Utility Render Elements List
- Coverage (vrayRE_Coverage) - For each pixel, the final values for the render element are taken from the object that makes the largest contribution to that pixel.
- Custom Color (vrayRE_Custom_Color) - A generic render element container. Use the Alias value to specify which render element it should be used as.
- Denoiser (vrayRE_Denoiser) - Takes an existing render and applies a denoising operation to smooth out areas of noise in the render.
- Distributed rendering ID (vrayRE_DR_Bucket) - Creates an image of buckets as colored rectangles, with the name of the machine that rendered the bucket displayed on each bucket.
- Extra texture (vrayRE_Extra_Tex) - Renders the entire scene with one texture mapped on all objects.
- Material select (vrayRE_Material_Select) - Writes the result of a V-Ray compatible material into a separate element. The material can be a top-level material or a sub-material of VRayMtlBlend.
- Object select (vrayRE_Object_select) - Renders only the object(s) called out with a specific Object or Material ID. This effect is reversible to create a render element that excludes a particular object or objects according to Object or Material ID.
- Sample rate (vrayRE_Sample_Rate) - Shows where the pixel brightness is directly proportional to the number of samples taken at this pixel.
- Toon (vrayRE_Toon) - Stores the results of the V-Ray Toon rendering effect.
- Unclamped Color (vrayRE_Unclamped_Color) - Shows the original colors that were clamped or adjusted with Color Mapping.
Utility Render Element Examples