This page provides some information on how to get V-Ray up and running.
The V-Ray installer for Modo is straightforward and easy to follow. It can be downloaded from the V-Ray | Downloads section of the Chaos Group website (please make sure you use your login credentials to ensure access to the download links). Before installing V-Ray, it is recommended to check that your computer meets the System Requirements for running Modo with V-Ray. If you would like a step-by-step guide, please check out the Installation of V-Ray for Modo page. If you run into any problems during installation, please check out the Troubleshooting page.
V-Ray for Modo Demo
To install the demo version of V-Ray, check that your computer meets the V-Ray for Modo System Requirements and then complete the following steps:
- Register on https://www.chaosgroup.com/.
- Use your login credentials to access the V-Ray | Downloads page and download the V-Ray for Modo DEMO installer.
- Run the demo installer and follow the prompts. The steps are similar to the full V-Ray installer; see the Installation of V-Ray for Modo page for step-by-step information.
Note: The demo version of V-Ray does not require any additional licensing setup. Steps regarding dongle licensing or online licensing are not applicable.
- After the installation finishes, you can launch Modo and start using the demo version of V-Ray.
Once V-Ray is installed you will want to make sure that your V-Ray license is properly configured. The Setting Up Your V-Ray License page includes everything you need to get V-Ray licensed and running properly. This step does not apply to the V-Ray for Modo demo.
Selecting a Renderer
There are several ways to start using V-Ray as your renderer:
- Switch to either the Render V-Ray tab or the V-Ray VFB tab in the Modo interface.
- From the V-Ray menu, select Render with V-Ray.
- If the V-Ray Toolbox is open, select Render with V-Ray...
- Render from the V-Ray Toolbar in the Modo interface. This will open up the V-Ray VFB and initiate a render.
Rendering from the V-Ray Toolbar
The Render V-Ray and V-Ray VFB tabs
Render with V-Ray... from the V-Ray Toolbox
Render with V-Ray... from the V-Ray Menu